���Ken Steele writes:
>Here is the next to last paragraph of Watson & Rayner

>"The Freudians twenty years from now, unless their hypotheses change,
>when they come to analyze Albert's fear of a seal skin coat - assuming
>that he comes to analysis at that age - will probably tease from him
the
>recital of a dream which upon their analysis will show that Albert at
>three years of age attempted to play with the pubic hair of the mother
>and was scolded violently for it. (We are by no means denying that
this
>might in some other case condition it). If the analyst has
sufficiently
>prepared Albert to accept such a dream when found as an explanation
>of his avoiding tendencies, and if the analyst has the authority and
>personality to put it over, Albert may be fully convinced that the
dream
>was a true revealer of the factors which brought about the fear."

That would a considerable advance on the reality of the "Little Hans"
analysis! (Actually undertaken by the boy's father under the guidance
of Freud.) The little boy had developed a fear of going out in the
street, and a fear of a horse biting him, after witnessing a bus-horse
fall in the street in front of him. Straightforward enough, one might
think, but that would be underestimating the imaginative feats of
Sigmund "Sherlock" Freud. The analysis reveals that the fear all
stemmed from the fact that "Hans really was a little Oedipus who wanted
to get his father 'out of the way', to get rid of him, so he might be
alone with his beautiful mother and sleep with her." Freud acknowledges
that "Hans deeply loved [his] father", but nevertheless he harboured
"death wishes" against him – revealed, of course, by the analysis. You
see, "Behind the fear to which Hans first gave expression, the fear of
a horse biting him, we have discovered a more deeply seated fear, the
fear of horses falling down; and both kinds of horses, the biting horse
and the falling horse, had been shown to represent his father, who was
going to punish him for the evil wishes he was nourishing against him."

Freud tells us that during the single short "consultation" he had with
the boy (with the father present), he "disclosed to him that he was
afraid of his father because he was so fond of his mother…" But that
was only a small part of what the boy was told by the father on behalf
of Freud, who acknowledges: "It is true that during the analysis Hans
had to be told many things he could not say himself, and he had to be
presented with thoughts which he had so far shown no signs of
possessing…" In a candid moment not in evidence in his popular works he
now writes: "This detracts from the evidential value of the analysis;
but the procedure is the same in every case. For a psychoanalysis is
not an impartial scientific investigation, but a therapeutic measure…
In a psychoanalysis the physician always gives his patient (sometimes
to a greater and sometimes to a lesser extent) the conscious
anticipatory ideas by means of which he is put in a position to
recognize and to grasp the unconscious material."

The mystery here is not the origins of the boy's phobia, but that for
several generations analysts and admirers of Freud could ever have
taken this case history seriously.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London