Stephen: I have a few speculations to consider.Was Albert from the South? Did the people involved in the study from execution to write up Southerners or had a Southern bent? Could Albert's parents refer to him as 'Li'l Albert
which was later changed to "Little"?
There is a video of American tongues about the different ways of speaking in America and you will be surprised as how expressions vary from region to region.It could be that the "little" could reflect the cuteness of that age and was fixated upon by the editor.Just my take. Please do not address me as Mikey :-)

Michael "omnicentric" Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida