I continue my lonely toil in seach of an answer,  in dank and
dreary dungeons, amid flickering candles and moldy tomes. And
not a cask of Amontillado to spur me on.

On my last attempt I nominated Daniel (1944) as the earliest
adopter of the term "Little Albert" to describe Watson's stolid
subject. I now push the boundary another 15 years back.

The new candidate is:

Clarke, Edwin Leavitt (1929). The art of straight thinking: a
primer of scientific method for social inquiry.

On p, 16, Clarke says this:

"In this case of little Albert we have two important phenomena
illustrated. First is the conditioning of a stimulus by an unlearred
stimulus-response".

This is 9 years after the original publication by Watson and
Rayner in which we were first introduced to Albert (but not to
little Albert).  I was not able to discover anything about the
author, Edwin Clarke. However, the work is undoubtedly not
"juvenile fiction" as Google Books seems to think.

A slightly later source is this:

Shirley, Mary Margaret (1933). The first two years: a study of
twenty-five babies, vol. 3, p. 209.

She says:

"Whereas Jones saw the babies only once or twice and the
Ohio State group observed the baby during only the neonatal
period, Watson apparently kept an experimental eye on "little
Albert" for more than a year. " [full text at
http://tinyurl.com/yhunr7y ]

Shirley sounded to me as someone familiar, unless I was
confusing her with that kid from Prince Edward Island. Sure
enough, the Biographical Dictionary of Women in Science lists
her as an American psychologist, born 1899, Ph.D. University of
Minnesota 1927,  death date unknown. [see
http://tinyurl.com/yglwoqz ].

I believe "The first two years" is her major work, and her
adoption of the descriptor "little Albert" may have been
influential. However,  I still think that Eysenck's frequent use of
the same term starting in 1959 may have been the impetus for
its modern use. Difficult to prove, however.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University
 e-mail:  sbl...@ubishops.ca