On 16 Dec 2009 at 11:40, Allen Esterson wrote, concerning my
complaint that a new article by Hayman (2009) on Darwin's
affliction didn't consider the previous "most recent" paper on the
topic in 2005:

> Stephen has missed (vacationing?) what I find the most likely
> explanation, cited on TIPS on 5 October this year:
>
> "Darwin's illness: a final diagnosis" (2007)
> Fernando Orrego  and Carlos Quintana
> Notes and Records of the Royal Society 2007: 61, 23-29
>
> http://rsnr.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/61/1/23.full.pdf+html

Yes, I was rash to assert that without checking.

As it happens, I was startled and pleased to receive an e-mail
yesterday from none other than John Hayman himself, which
once again should remind us that our postings are public. Dr.
Hayman also pointed out that there have been a number of
other recent  diagnoses, including a "resurgence of Crohn's
disease and mercury poisoning...and Helicobacter".

He told me that the original version of his paper did address the
lactose intolerance theory, but was cut from the paper due to
space limitation. He sent me a copy of his views on the lactose
question, possibly the material edited out from his article, and
while he seems to agree that the lactose (or milk protein)
intolerance theory does have merit, it fails to adequately explain
"the severity and range of his symptoms".

As for Allen's nomination of the Orrego and Quintana hypothesis
of Crohn's disease as "most likely", I'm not so sure. O & Q
argue that the precipitating circumstance was a bacterial
infection contracted in Chile. But both Campbell and Mathews
(2005) and Hayman (2009) argue that there were signs of the
illness before Darwin set sail. That would seem to rule it out, or
at least O & Q's version.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University