People who have bowel problems such as Crohn's, colitis and inflammatory
bowel disease, are often also lactose intolerant, at least in my own
and many family members' experience.  Lactose intolerance is also a lot more
common in the world than many realize.  (Asians, Africans, African-Americans
and Native Americans are almost 100% lactose intolerant, and worldwide,
about 75% of adults are unable to tolerate lactose.)  So lactose intolerance
could have been just one of the many intestinal problems that poor Darwin
endured.  He was probably encouraged to drink milk to "settle his stomach,"
as my poor grandmother was urged to do.  She had bleeding ulcers, but it was
before lactose intolerance was understood, and she was encouraged to drink
milk all day to soothe her tortured stomach.  It's a marvel she lived as
long as she did, albeit with most of her stomach removed and lots of other
things as well...

Secondly, we don't have to stick to just one disease to explain his skin
problems.  They don't *have* to be explained by the same disorder that
caused his bowel problems.

Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University