> You are absolutely correct about this. Garcia visited my school when I
> was a grad student over 20 years ago. He told us that when he first
> tried to publish his taste aversion research, the reviewers questioned
> his results and wrote "The chances of getting these results are about as
> likely as finding bird shit in a cookoo clock." I think that he told us
> that he also had grant trouble until his discoveries were validated.
> Getting work published that contradicts some biggie's pet theory has
> also been problematic.
> Rip Pisacreta, Ph.D.

There's a nice article in a recent APA Monitor about McGuigan and his
early findings on consolidation of memory that makes essentially the same
point. Those results were seen as so inconsistent with existing notions that it
was years before he could get them published.

I imagine there are lots of similar stories out there. The inertia of the
literature doesn't accommodate highly innovative results very handily, it
appears.

Patrick Cabe, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
University of North Carolina at Pembroke
One University Drive
Pembroke, NC 28372-1510

(910) 521-6630