Sorry that I don't know where to obtain the video, but I just wanted to
mentionn that I have played tic-tac-toe with a chicken myself. Our local
amusement park, Valley Fair, used to have such a game. Since you could not
see the chicken's side of the board, I have always assumed that a computer
chip lighted the desired move for the chicken, and the chicken was trained
to peck the lighted square, a real no-brainer and entirely appropriate for
a chicken. It is quite easy to write a program that plays tic-tac-toe
without losing. I did that once for a project in grad school.

At 9:28 AM -0600 2/10/99, Claudia Stanny wrote:
>Calvin Trillin has a wonderful piece in this week's issue of The New Yorker
>about a chicken that plays tic-tac-toe in a an arcade game.  He talks about
>the training of the chicken(s) for these games, originally by the Brelands
>and later by the Baileys.  He also mentions that he once saw a video of B.
>F. Skinner playing tic-tac-toe with one of these chickens. Since the game
>is set up so the chicken always goes first and, I assume, response choice
>is directed by a simple computer program, the chicken almost invariably
>wins.  (Trillin notes that Skinner once managed to eke out a draw from the
>chicken.)
>
>My question is:  Has anybody seen this video or know of its whereabouts?  I
>would love to obtain a copy.
>
>Claudia

>Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.       e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Department of Psychology        Phone:      (850) 474 - 3163
>University of West Florida     FAX:    (850) 857 - 6060
>Pensacola, FL  32514 - 5751

Doug Wallen                             Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Psychology Department                   Phone: (507) 389-5818
Minnesota State University, Mankato             Fax: (507) 389-5831
Mankato, MN 56002