Rip wrote:

> can't use red ink?
> can't use "mentally retarded"?
> next will be "gravitationally challenged" for obesity, "visually
> challenged" for blind.

        "Horizontally challenged" for the overweight _already_ exists and is
recommended at some institutions.

        "Visually challenged" _is_ the "approved" term for the blind.

> Add in we should not discuss rape, broken homes, divorce, violence,
> and a hundred other subjects that may make students uncomfortable
> because they experienced some of these things, and I guess there will
> be nothing left to do but stare at each other for fifty minutes, or
> would that be considered sexual harassment?

        Of course it would. Ask the class a difficult--but fair--question that none
of them appear capable of answering then just stare at them waiting for a
response, and I have no doubt at all you will be accused of intimidating
them or harassing them (despite the fact that by the next lecture they WILL
be able to answer your questions).l

        Welcome to the wonderful world of Political Correctness where using the
right term or not hurting anyone's feelings (by insisting they learn, for
instance) is _much_ more important than teaching.

        The _best_ section of "Minority Groups in America" I ever taught included
an open debate between a representative of the Ku Klux Clan and a minister
of the Nation of Islam. My students (about 1/2 black, 1/4 Asian or Hispanic,
1/4 Western European) repeatedly told me they learned more there than in any
class they had attended. Despite that, on most campuses I would have been
terminated for even scheduling such a session.

        Rick
--

Rick Adams
[EMAIL PROTECTED]