i have heard somewhere that students get much more offended with red ink and i asked my students about this (intro. psych.) and they agreed that blue or black seems much less harsh and critical. whether this is scientifically true for cognitive processing, or a cultural thing, i doubt it.

Beth Benoit wrote:

 Has anyone ever gotten pointedly negative feedback about red ink being "culturally insensitive"?  A student objected to my use of red ink for corrections on a paper (saying his parents agreed!!...) because his parents "come from cultures which regard the use of red ink as very degrading and insulting" (from his note to me) and he would appreciate it if another color could be used in the future.  Parents are of Italian descent.

I am floored.  Am I missing something?  Any suggestions for response?   (A side note which may prejudice you but is [oh, so innocently!!] intended for background:  The red ink appeared on his first draft as feedback for improvement [okay:  lots of red ink, because it was a very poor paper]; his second draft was handed in ignoring my corrections, unchanged from the first; so the second was "red-inked";  the final draft was handed in with - once again - no changes.)

I have lots to say to defend the grade, but admit I'm stumped about the "Red Ink Accusation."  Sure, red ink connotes criticism (no duh, as the students say), but I am lost on the cultural connotation.  Help!

Beth Benoit
University of Massachusetts Lowell

--
Tasha R. Howe, Ph.D.