Your experience would be pitifully funny if it weren't increasingly
common.
        Science used to be defined in Popperian terms, as an enterprise with
its goal as prediction and control. Chaos theory thoroughly destroyed
that notion. Complex systems are unpredictable.
Unfortunately, what the sociologists of science have had to say is
probably more accurate than we would want to admit. Science is the term
used by whoever has or wants the dominant share of resources. The terms
"not scientific" is simply a heuristic meaning "I am not interested in
what you do. Therefore you deserve no resources."