I always say yes to this question because the sound waves are formed
whether or not they are perceived by anyone.
annette

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Michael Sylvester wrote:

>  I am teaching Cognitive Psychology this summer and while discussing
> Sensory input and perception,a student asked:
> "if a tree falls in the forest and there is no one around,
> does it still make a sound?"
>
> I assume yes because a tape recorder could be left there to monitor
> the forest activity.
>
> Michael Sylvester
> Daytona Beach,Florida

Annette Taylor, Ph. D.
Department of Psychology                E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of San Diego                 Voice:   (619) 260-4006
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA  92110

                "Education is one of the few things a person
                 is willing to pay for and not get."
                                                -- W. L. Bryan