The following is lifted from my ever evolving Intro Psych syllabus:

PERSONAL JOURNAL and OUTSIDE RESOURCE:

        The textbook, lectures, discussions, and other classroom activities
are designed to provide basic knowledge of the terminology and concepts in
the field of psychology, and the scientific methods by which this knowledge
is obtained.  It is also important, however, that you relate these
experiences to your activities outside of the classroom, and that you read,
listen to, or view outside materials about the topics in psychology that
especially interest you.

        The purpose of the personal journal is for you to keep a written
record of your reading and thinking as it pertains to this course.  You
should make an entry for each week of class.  Date each entry.  Your personal
journal will be turned in 3 times during the semester.  I will read your
entries, and feel free to make any written comments or suggestions that may
be of help to you.  In addition, you may use this assignment to keep me
informed of your view of class activities.  The journals will be returned as
soon as possible.  You will receive for your efforts up to 8 points for each
journal entry (one entry each for 11 weeks).  The total of up to 88 points
earned will be used in the calculation of your final grade.

        In addition to your personal journal entry for each week of class,
you will need to include an entry describing one outside resource each time
you turn in your journal (3 times).  You will receive up to 10 points for
each outside resource.  You will have complete freedom in your choice of an
outside resource.  The most important criterion for selection is that you are
interested in and profit personally from the experience.  Chapters of books,
professional journal articles, or articles found in the newspaper, popular
magazines (e.g., Psychology Today or Scientific American), or on the Internet
may be used.  Lists of "suggested readings" can be found in your text at the
end of each chapter.  Course relevant movies and TV specials may also be
used.  A browse through the campus or local library could serve as a source
of inspiration!  In addition, I would be glad to suggest readings on
particular topics of interest to you.  Just let me know about your interests.
 Be sure to record complete reference information (e.g., Name of  resource
(book, magazine, newspaper, movie, television network, etc.) name of article
or show, and date of publish or airing, internet address) for the resources
that you choose (a handout will be provided on referencing). Whenever
possible, please submit a copy of the resource.

        Your personal journal entries and description of outside resources do
not need to be structured as a formal paper.  You should, however, take care
to use correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.  It must be legible.
(Typed submissions are preferred, of course!)  Your name and the date of
entry should appear on every page.  Although I want you to seek the help
needed to use this writing experience as a way of enhancing your ability to
express yourself clearly, I am also interested in the sharing of what you are
learning, the process you are using to gather information and critically
evaluate it, and how this process is affecting your views.  Your writing
should demonstrate that you have thought about what you have read and
experienced, and how you may apply these new experiences in your own life.
This should be accomplished without merely summarizing the material using the
process described below:

Assessment Criteria Categories:

        I am interested in your comments, criticisms, evaluations, questions,
and insights. All critical comments, however, should be justified in the
context of the scientific method; consider experimental design and
alternative hypotheses. For example, when you prepare to write your personal
journal entries and the description of your outside resource, ask yourself
the following questions: (A scoring rubric is also provided.)

1) For the Journal entry - How does the material discussed in the course
readings and class discussions relate to my personal experiences in life?
OR
1)   For the Outside Resource entry - How does the material in the outside
resource
      relate to the material discussed in class?

AND

2) How does the material relate to other psychological concepts of which you
are aware?
3) What is of interest to you in the material covered?
Why?
4) Are you convinced by the arguments made by the author/instructor/class
mates? Why or Why not?
5) What additional hypotheses come to mind after your reading and thinking?

6) In general, you should write about behavior that you have observed,
discussions in which you have participated, or thoughts you had after class,
and relate these to the class material.

        Each personal journal entry and description of outside resource
should be at least 250-300 words in length (about one typewritten page or two
hand-written pages).  This is your moment to "show your stuff", however, so
if you would like to take advantage of the audience, go ahead and write more
. . . I will be both open to and reflective of your thoughts.

Assessment Criteria for Quality of Content:

        Writing demonstrates:
                Good understanding of the issues and points of view.
                Accuracy of information, evidence, or data.
                Organized and effective presentation.
                Enthusiastic presentation.
                Clarity of writing (spelling, grammar, punctuation)
                Neatness of presentation

For Outside Resource entries only:
Complete referencing information

*
Sandra Nagel Randall, Ph.D.
Wayne County Community College District, MI
Department of Human and Community Development

Athabasca University, Alberta, Canada
Biopsychology Consultant

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Off: 248-948-8162