On Tue, 18 May 1999, James S. MacDonall wrote:

>       I usually assign 4 or 5 short papers, 4 pages or so each.  Essentially
> the task of each paper is to relate 4 concepts in a chapter to their
> life.  I give them the four concepts.  They do this by providing one
> _real life_ example of each concepts, not a made up example or one from
> the text.  I find this works well in helping them see the relationship
> of the course to their life.

I've done something similar in my Social Psychology class, but I also
allow them to use fictional examples.  Often they'll use a movie or novel,
sometimes a television program or something from the news.  Student
comments on the end-of-semester evaluation suggest that these assignments
help them see the relevance of Social Psych principles to their daily
lives (even if it's not always *their* lives they're discussing).

Jeff

================================================  ____________________
Jeff Bartel         Grad Student in Social Psyc  |          Manhattan >
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              Dept of Psychology  |               x    \_
www-personal.ksu.edu/~jbartel   Kansas State U.  |                      |
 Syllabi page for psychology instructors:        |                      |
  www-personal.ksu.edu/~jbartel/syllabi.html     |        KANSAS        |

Reading an email message about a new email virus?  Getting a note that's
been forwarded to a dozen other people?  Before you pass it along, drop by
http://www.US.datafellows.com/news/hoax/ for a list of recent hoaxes and
chain letters.