Hello all,
   I've been taking advantage of the end of the semester to go to the
movies....

(1) Star Wars & race
    I must say that when I saw the movie my immediate thoughts were that the
Gungan were supposed to represent African-Americans and the other
inhabitants on the planet were supposed to represent White-Americans.  The
Gungans do go to war carrying what look like spears and shields...and they
go against the latest in high tech weapons... shades of European conquests
of Africa.
    Of course, the Gungans and the other planet inhabitants do ultimatley
defeat their invaders by overcoming their differences, forgetting their
stereotypes of one another, and working together.  This seems to me to be
the message in the movie.
    I suppose this could bring up a discussion of stereotypes, diversity,
and stereotype accuracy....as well as the effects of such media
presentations...

(2) Psychology in the movies: The Haunting
    A remake of The Haunting (of Hill House).... also a remake of Legend of
Hill House... is coming in July I believe.  From the trailer, it looks like
psychology plays a major role.  It is set in a haunted house (what a
surprise!) where a researcher is supposedly conducting a study on insomnia.
He has several persons with the disorder come to the house to try to sleep.
Why put these persons in a haunted house?  It turns out that he is actually
doing a study on suggestive environments and fear - as the character (played
by Liam Nessin (spell?) from Star Wars) says "You don't tell the rat that he
is in a maze."  As a social psychologist, I hope the character is portrayed
accurately and positively....

I'll let the existentialists among us talk about the Matrix and the 13th
Floor....

Scott Bradshaw
Elizabeth City State University
Elizabeth City, North Carolina [USA]