Rick Froman wrote:

> On 24 Jun 99, at 12:05, Michael Sylvester wrote:
>
> > Consider the source (with or without documentation)
>
> Is there a difference between this and ad hominem argumentation?

        I would certainly think so.

        If, for example, I read the statement "I have never knowingly or
deliberately committed an immoral act," it will make quite a bit of
difference whether that statement was made by:

        1. Former Supreme Court Justice, Thurgood Marshall.

        2. Evangelist Billy Graham.

        3. President Bill Clinton.

        To me, that kind of discernment would simply represent common sense. The
same, obviously, could be applied to such considerations as the source of
a citation in a term paper (i.e., did an Internet citation come from a
solid academic site where well researched and supported material is
available, or from a private Web site where the content is subject to the
whim of the user) or other reference.

        Rick
--

Rick Adams
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"... and the only measure of your worth and your deeds
will be the love you leave behind when you're gone."

Fred Small, J.D., "Everything Possible"