Mike wrote:

> The statement in this example is not about an observable event
> (it includes the private-event qualifier, "knowingly").  If a
> scoundrel presents good data or a logical argument, the fact
> that it came from a scoundrel should not make a difference.

        True.

        But the original message did not refer to "good data" or a "logical
argument." It dealt with generalities only.

        And in that case, my statement is totally appropriate.

        Empirical data needn't be judged by the nature of the individual
presenting it. Normative data must be.

        Rick
--

Rick Adams
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"... and the only measure of your worth and your deeds
will be the love you leave behind when you're gone."

Fred Small, J.D., "Everything Possible"