I have a student in my class with very poor attendance and she has missed
a couple of assignments. Her explanation is that she has been diagnosed
as biploar and is on medication. I have taken this into account and I give
her the necessary make-ups.
Whereas with the physically handicapped (physically challenged)
the parameters are clear as to special arrangements for testing at
specific times and location,this bipolar student is very
unpredictable.On the other hand,I am concerned that I may be
inadvertently and implicitly reinforcing the bipolar drama by my blanket
policy of accepting this type of excuse and not setting parameters.
I am curious as to how other tipsters handle the behavioral disabled?

Michael Sylvester
Daytona Beach,Florida