From: Michael Sylvester [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 1999 12:07 PM
To: TIPS
Subject: Colleague with bad breath

one of my colleagues has a terrible case of bad breath.Even students have
noticed it.
What should I do:
A) be direct and tell him so
B) wear a mask when talking to him
C)put a toothbrush and breath mints in his faculty mail box,so he gets the
  hint
D) all of the above
E)other: please explain

   And while on this subject (free associating),I have known European
colleagues who would go for days without taking a shower.One German
dude who taughtt stats in my grad school really had a strong odor
and was irreproachable. We used to think that this was his way of keeping
annoying students from his office. With no offense to our European
tipsters, is this a frequent complaint.
For those in the cross-cultural psychology of health,it is my
understanding that Europeans have a long history of not taking a
bath.And it was the Arab conquerors who taught the Europeans
how to take a bath.
Do personal hygienic factors  affect pedagogy and learning?

Michael Sylvester
Daytona Beach,Florida