As a general rule I do NOT take points off for spelling. What I tell
studnets, however, is that if their answer is unclear or illegible on an
exam, (that is, it's spelled so poorly I'm not sure if they mean one thing
or another), it's considered incorrect. I also tell them that papers done
on computer need to be proofread as well as spell-checked (proofreading is
a lost art form), and that too many such errors detracts from the flow of
the paper and their ability to express points clearly, and thus I will
deduct in that case as well.
David W.
David Wasieleski, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA 31698
912-333-5930
http://chiron.valdosta.edu/dtwasieleski

"Thinking is the hardest work there is,
which is probably the reason so few engage in it."
    --Henry Ford