> > do you take off points for spelling?
>
> Actually I do if it is a core concept and is badly mutilated.
> Students need to learn the concepts correctly and not spend the
> rest of their lives mispronouncing core concepts and sounding
> like some of the comedians who make a living off of poor use of
> language.

Here's an example of the kind of point I think Annette is making. I asked on a
test recently for a list of ethical principles in psychological research. One
student wrote "Annuity."

Now, I think the student meant "anonymity," but it was such a bizarre
misspelling of "anonymity" that I didn't think I could reasonably give credit
for it.

Pat Cabe

Patrick Cabe, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
University of North Carolina at Pembroke
One University Drive
Pembroke, NC 28372-1510

(910) 521-6630