From: Paul C. Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 1999 8:24 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Aging teacher needs help

Ron Blue wrote:
> I believe the goal is to give the students  the understanding to build
> on what we have accomplished and to stress that we do not know all the
answers and we expect them to
> correct our errors in judgment.

        That reminds me... about four weeks ago I used the expression "Can't
see
the forest for the trees" in my probability and statistics course. The
students _all_ told me that they had never heard that expression before. I
gather it's as though I'd said "23 Skidoo". Suddenly everytime I use an
expression, I stop and ask if they've heard it.

Paul Smith
Alverno College
Milwaukee