Don wrote, in part:
> Most recently this student took a students paper, copied it, and then
> when I confronted her, lied to me and told me that she had worked with
> that student, which he (the guy whose paper she grabbed) denies.
>
> How can I get the message across that her antics will no longer be tolerated
> in a way that won't cause a screaming match?  Thanks in advance...

On our campus, this sounds an awful lot like an Honor Code violation. If I were
you, and this happened here, I'd turn the student in as an Honor Code violator
and let the chips fall.

It sounds as if this is a problem that has festered. Just as a general
principle of practice, problems that one confronts tend to be easier to resolve
than problems that one does not confront. This sounds like it should have been
confronted sooner.

I hope you have a campus security force you can call if the student becomes to
overtly hostile.

Pat Cabe

Patrick Cabe, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
University of North Carolina at Pembroke
One University Drive
Pembroke, NC 28372-1510

(910) 521-6630