Rod Hetzel wrote:

> What do you consider to be the biggest problem or challenge facing
> psychology today?

Psychology is such a diverse discipline that it is very difficult to
answer this question. In fact, perhaps this diversity IS the major
challenge. I know that many others have commented on this (at least,
during the last 50 years, or so). There are so many different areas of
psychology, and each area tends to have so many different approaches,
that psychology may be in danger of splintering into several different
disciplines (John Kulig suggested something similar to this, except he
seemed to limit it to the clinician/academician split). Most important
to me is the increasing acceptance of nonscientific viewpoints by some
groups of psychologists (e.g.,, the approach taken by those calling
themselves transpersonal psychologists). I think that this is the MOST
fundamental challenge. I worry that, over the next few decades, this may
lead to a further splintering of psychology that is even more basic than
the APS/APA split (probably with each faction trying to appropriate the
name of "psychology").

Jeff

--
Jeffry P. Ricker, Ph.D.          Office Phone:  (480) 423-6213
9000 E. Chaparral Rd.            FAX Number: (480) 423-6298

"The truth is rare and never simple."
                                   Oscar Wilde

"Science must begin with myths and with the criticism of myths"
                                   Karl Popper

"If you want to learn new things, you should try reading old books."
                                   Richard Cytowic