Kirsten,

I received similar comments from some students when I first began using
PowerPoint (at MSU-Mankato incidentally).  I have found that the key is to
have the slides be very brief.  This allows students to write down the
information quickly and then listen to what you have to say.  They can then
decide whether or not what you are saying is important to write down.  You
will find that students who have read the material before coming to class
are less worried about getting down the definition of terms, and spend more
time jotting down examples and details that were not in the text.  This
procedure also requires students to attend class to get the core material,
as the slides are really just fancy outlines.

My two cents!

Cheers,

Rob Flint
Robert W. Flint, Jr., Ph.D.