You have a captive audience. They have to buy that particular book.
If, in a particular general psychology class, students had a dozen or so
texts from different publishers to choose from, competition would drive
the price lower. I don't know who profits the most - the publishers, the
bookstores, the middle-people. But I am pretty sure it's not the author!

    Occassionally I will have a reading list that includes both texts
and "trade books." For instance, I'll use a standard History of Psych
text and also use Fancher's _Pioneers of Psychology_. The text will cost
$50 and Fancher $9 - or something like that.
    (Michael, you have inspired me to ask another question ... stay
tuned).

Michael Sylvester wrote:

> why is the textbook so expensive?
>
> Michael Sylvester
> Daytona Beach,Florida

John W. Kulig                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology             http://oz.plymouth.edu/~kulig
Plymouth State College               tel: (603) 535-2468
Plymouth NH USA 03264                fax: (603) 535-2412
"What a man often sees he does not wonder at, although he knows
not why it happens; if something occurs which he has not seen before,
he thinks it is a marvel" - Cicero.