> Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:53:55 -0600
> From: Paul Brandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> At 11:57 AM -0600 2/21/01, Jim  Guinee wrote:
> >It seems that "popular" stuff is allowed in the door, but as soon as
> >someone brings up an issue that is non-psych and most people don't
> >like/agree with (e.g., religion), the internet cops scream bloody murder.
>
> Jim--
> You're setting up a straw man.
> I haven't seen any postings on this list objecting to religion.
> It's the conflation of religion and science that some of us (including
> those with relgious inclinations) find objectionable.
>
> * PAUL K. BRANDON               [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *
> * Psychology Dept       Minnesota State University, Mankato *
> * 23 Armstrong Hall, Mankato, MN 56001      ph 507-389-6217 *
> *    http://www.mankato.msus.edu/dept/psych/welcome.html    *

At the risk of rehashing an old issue, I'm not sure I see the problem with
"conflating" science and religion.  (BTW, what is the precise meaning of this
word?  I couldn't find it in the dictionary)

As far as the straw man, I'm not yet willing to concede my man is made
entirely of that material...

For example, I remember posting a news bit on the shroud of Turin (sp?) as
an example of collecting data and was immediately questioned about using it
as a means to promote (as opposed to analyze) religion.

In a more recent post I forwarded a website entitled "Al Gore or the
Unabomber: You decide?"  I got more than one response that essentially
posed the question "WHat the heck does this have to do with teaching
psychology?"

I'm probably still being overly sensitive, but nonetheless I contend that more
popular topics that have little relevance to teaching psychology are given
much more e-time.
Jim Guinee, Ph.D.
Director of Training & Adjunct Professor

President, Arkansas College Counselor Association
University of Central Arkansas Counseling Center
313 Bernard Hall    Conway, AR  72035    USA
(501) 450-3138 (office)  (501) 450-3248 (fax)

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration"
             -John Steinbeck