Hi

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Tipsters -
> "Is it true that when someone is asked a question and they
> look up and to the left, that they are accessing the visual
> cortex of their brain indicating that they are telling the
> truth, and that if they look up and to the right that they
> are accessing the creative side of their brain otherwise
> indicating that they are lying?"

Some older studies reported that direction of eye movements to
questions could indicate which hemisphere was activated.  The
idea was contralateral activation (I seem to remember); that is,
leftward eye movements indicated right hemisphere activation and
rightward eye movements LH activation.  I forget the original
authors, but my recollection is that their studies were not
replicated.  We use to use this as a lab demo.  It was
interesting.  Students would make up questions to activate left
or right hemispheres and test subjects.

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark