I'm a huge fan of Dave Myers' texts - I've used both Social and Intro.
(He's a TIPSter as well.)  Students love them too.  I've used many other
texts in the past, but find the student-friendly writing, the strong
emphasis on relating to current issues and the intelligent research make
them winners.  Also, the Instructor's Resource Manual, by Martin Bolt, seems
to be a universal favorite - best I've ever used!  I haven't used Atkinson,
but have used Gleitman, and Myers is much more popular with students

Another one that's popular with TIPSters (including me) is Rod Plotnik's.
This is a good choice for community college students, I've found.  My
daughter uses it for high school psychology. It's more basic than Myers'.
(It's sometimes referred to as "the MTV textbook."  I think this is meant to
be disparaging, but I think it says a lot about its being heavy on graphics
and simplification of concepts.)

Beth Benoit
Daniel Webster College
College for Lifelong Learning