Diana Issidorides wrote:

> Could some of you please share your views on Myers (1998) Psychology
> textbook. This is the preferred textbook at a (new) liberal
> arts college I might be teaching at, so I'm very interested in
> reviews, opinions, and comments. I don't know the textbook myself.

        I've used Dave Myers book for the last ten years--and I've yet to find a
better one for introductory students in a Community College environment.
The book contains up-to-date and well presented information, a readable
and easily understood style, and plenty of appropriate images and charts.
Both the instructor's aids and the student aids available for the text are
excellent, and the current edition (6e) is very up-to-date.

        About the only area I tend to disagree with is the relatively
conservative tone of the work, but that's my own personal bias, not an
indictment of the work itself.

        If you start using the book, I think you'll be very happy with it.

> Among other things, I was wondering, for example, how it compares to
> the  Atkinson et al.  "classic".

        I've never used Atkinson et al., but having at least examined it, Myers'
book tends to be much easier for students to understand (while conveying
the same informational depth) and better designed.

> Plus: does anyone know of statistics showing which introductory
> psychology textbooks are mostly being used across US campuses?

        That I don't have, sorry, but from talking to colleagues at other
institutions, if Myers book isn't among the top three or four, it's pretty
close.

        Hope this helps,

        Rick
--

Rick Adams
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"... and the only measure of your worth and your deeds will be the love
you leave behind when you're gone. --Fred Small, Everything Possible "