On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Patrick Cabe wrote:

> As chair of our campus Faculty Senate, it falls my lot to "say a few words" at
> commencement this spring. I've been thinking that it might be nice to talk about
> some of the correlates of obtaining a college education. I'm hoping the collective
> wisdom of TIPS subscribers can help me.
>
> It's well known that college educated individuals, on average, make more money
> than non-college educated individuals.
>
> But what about the relationships between college education and other elements of
> adult life? For example: divorce rates, mental health, physical health, longevity,
> criminal convictions, delinquency among their children, etc., etc., etc.?
>
> Open to any ideas or suggestions. My task is to fill about 5 pithy minutes of the
> program.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Pat Cabe

  I would imagine alot depends on the major of the college grad and
    the internalized values of the core curriculum.
We should expect the college grad to have an edge on critical thinking
skills,but most people are probably going to college to get a good job
and I am not sure how the other values may matter.
Remember that song by Pete Seeger "Little Boxes"?- They all
go the univeristy and they all made out of ticky tacky and they all
come out the same.
I am actually concerned about  psychology profs who fail
to gather info as to the effectiveness of teaching methods
of other colleagues.
I have read where the divorce rate among the college educated
is lower than other groups. But how can this be interpreted?
Maybe the college educated is smart enough to stay together
or decide to split.
Btw,lots of people in Daytona Beach are puzzled by the misbehavior
of college students during Spring Break.They remark: how can
these folks are going to college and yet they behave so stupid
and dumb.
I also feel that the educated should transcend cultural imperatives.
Michael Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida