If we trust the data that went into Hunter and Hunter's meta-analysis on job
performance (_Psych Bulletin_ 1984 "Validity and utility of alternative
predictors of job performance"), intelligence, not education per se, is the key
factor. As summarized in the Bell Curve:

Predictor                       Validity coefficient
---------                       -------------------
cogntitive test score        .53
biographical data            .37
reference checks            .26
education                       .22 <-- I assume # and/or types of degress went
here
interview                        .14
college grades                .11
interest                           .10
age                               -.01

You have to be careful interpreting some of these - no doubt it's hard to
separate effects that are usually confounded (I haven't looked at the details of
their paper)- but it appears consistent with the idea that the correlation
between success and education is, in fact, "correlational."

---
John W. Kulig                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology             http://oz.plymouth.edu/~kulig
Plymouth State College               tel: (603) 535-2468
Plymouth NH USA 03264                fax: (603) 535-2412
"What a man often sees he does not wonder at, although he knows
not why it happens; if something occurs which he has not seen before,
he thinks it is a marvel" - Cicero.