Good morning all:

A student asked a question regarding the use of "invisible" fences. A dog wears a collar that delivers a mild shock whenever the dog crosses over the boundary and learns not to cross the boundary. Is this an example of operant or classical conditioning? I answered that it was operant conditioning (positive punishment) because the shock follows the behavior and decreases it. Just wanted to double check that my answer is correct.

Thanks to those who take the time to reply.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Wasieleski, Ph. D. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 7:33 AM
Subject: Re: need some collegial advice

Why the qualifier "other than confronting him?" I believe that speaking with him after class is the best solution. You don't have to call him on the winking behavior (he may have a tic disorder; we had an undergraduate here who always looked like she was winking; turned out she had a tic disorder), but ask him about the note taking (particularly if he isn't faring well in the class). If he's being inappropriate during that meeting, you can call him on the behavior and tell him that if he isn't coming to class to learn, he needn't bother.
Seems to me the reluctance to confront behavior on the part of faculty can often be taken by some students as implied consent. If you prefer, however, you can try to utilize extinction, by not reacting at all to his winking (you may not even realize that you might be glancing at him to see if he's winking, etc.), or to use punishment, by asking him whether he has something in his eye or something (in front of the class, who likely don't see his winks).
That's my 3.5 cents...
David