At 8:30 AM -0600 3/20/01, Jean Edwards wrote:
>     Good morning all:   A student asked a question regarding the use of
>"invisible" fences. A dog wears a collar that delivers a mild shock
>whenever the dog crosses over the boundary and learns not to cross the
>boundary.  Is this an example of operant or classical conditioning? I
>answered that it was  operant conditioning (positive punishment) because
>the shock follows the  behavior and decreases it. Just wanted to double
>check that my answer is  correct.     Thanks to those who take the time to
>reply.   JL Edwards

The correct answer is:   yes.

_Both_ operant and classical (respondent) conditioning are involved.

The initial effect is probably respondent: the pain of the shock elicits
reflexes which then become conditioned responses elicited by stimuli paired
with the shock (e.g., the sight of the fence).

Then, behaviors which avoid the shock are negatively reinforced (turning
away from the fence) and behaviors which result in contact with it are
punished by their consequences.

* PAUL K. BRANDON               [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *
* Psychology Dept       Minnesota State University, Mankato *
* 23 Armstrong Hall, Mankato, MN 56001      ph 507-389-6217 *
*    http://www.mankato.msus.edu/dept/psych/welcome.html    *