Jean,

The electric collars typically give off a warning tone when the dog gets
close to the fence area.  I would probably argue that the tone is a
discriminative stimulus, setting the occasion for the punishment of the
operant.  One could argue, of course, that the tone is a classically
conditioned aversive stimulus eliciting a "fear" response.

-- Jim