On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:59:00 -0600 (CST) Jeff Bartel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On another note. . .
>
> > But I have chosen not to use PowerPoint because of the negative
> > comments about PP-lectures from several students. The chief
> > complaints I have heard center around the use of slides that
> > consist of 1-level bulleted lists, with some irrelevant graphic
> > embroidery. The similarity of these slides within and across
> > classes makes it difficult to attend to content information
> > according to my informants.
> >
> I agree that the "irrelevant graphic embroidery" doesn't add much in most
> cases, but I'm curious about the other concerns.  The "use of slides that
> consist of 1-level bulleted lists" is not a problem inherent to
> presentation software.  This same approach is often used by devout
> chalkboard/whiteboard and overhead users, too.  A moderately skilled user
> could adapt any web, chalkboard, or overhead presentation into whatever
> presentation software s/he prefers.
>
> I think that the "similarity of these slides within and across
> classes" argument is also problematic of using overheads or the
> chalkboard, too, right? (And, as one TIPster already noted, the appearance
> could be changed much easier in PowerPoint than with a transparency.)

I agree completely.  I am a mix-and-match person, using chalk,
overheads, computer presentations, sine-wave generators, audio
cds, beepers, musical keyboards, weights, operant chambers, etc.

It is clear in my classes that I am a technophile, and am
always trying to drag in strange apparatus. That is why it was
so striking that some students would complain to me about PP
lectures.

> Obviously there are disadvantages to using computer presentation software.
> The two biggest ones I see are the requirement for a very bright projector
> (or a moderately dimmed room) and being "chained" to the computer
> (bringing us back to the origin of this thread) if one does not have a
> wireless mouse.  However, I think that the advantages outweigh the
> disadvantages.  For one, I can do a lot of things with PowerPoint that I
> just can't with overheads: sound clips, movies, animations, and the like
> are integrated.  Further, I don't have to shuffle around to find the
> graphic transparency that goes along with the text transparency.  I can
> put them on the same slide.  I like the fact that it doesn't cost me to
> change my presentation (unlike the $.50/transparency it costs the
> department if I change my mind and want to insert a heading).

I agree also.  We (literally--myself and other technophiles in
our department) have been wiring classrooms in our department so
that we can do movies, animations, sound clips through computer
based lectures.

My observation is that some faculty are using all this
technology to redo overhead techniques.  And the manner in
which some people use MS PowerPoint reinforces (strengthens, not
a change in rate) that observation. That is my complaint.

> It sounds to me that what people who dislike presentation software object
> to is those who use the technology poorly.  Of course, as I alluded to
> above, I've been in my fair share of low-tech lectures in which the
> chalkboard was used poorly (small, illegible writing; too few/many points;
> etc.).  Is there anything about the medium per se that you don't like?
> Most of the obstacles can be overcome (with a bright projector, a wireless
> mouse, and some practice knowing what the audience needs on the slide),
> but I'm wondering if there are other concerns you have.

I think that the metaphor of the "slideshow" is what concerns me
most.  A slideshow implies to me a streamlined, organized
presentation where the concern is to get from point A to point B
in economical fashion, like one would expect to encounter at a
research conference.

But this does not fit with what happens in a classroom for me on
many occasions. Usually in a class session, I have 3 or 4 main
points that I want students to understand. These points concern
concepts, ideas, facts, or terminology that students in the past
have had difficulty understanding.  So, for example, this could
be the distinction between positive and negative reinforcement.
In this case I will go into the class with (literally) 20
overheads that contain short scenarios to be classified.  I will
go through as many or as few as I need until I am sure that at
least some core group of students understands the distinction.
Then I will move on.

Obviously, I can convert these to html files, have
several versions in different font sizes to match
different classroom sizes, display them from a web site in
class, and leave them on the web site so that students can study
the examples at other times. This is a clear advantage of use of
technology.

But what does the PowerPoint slideshow analogy add?

Ken

> Jeff
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Jeff Bartel
> http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~jbartel
> Department of Psychology, Kansas State University

Kenneth M. Steele                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. of Psychology
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608
USA