> I've just begun to read a very interesting document, available only online
> from Barnes & Noble (as far as Iknow), and think if others find it
> interesting, it would be a good new thread.
>
> The document is called The Lucifer Principle, by Harold Bloom, and while
> not a scientific study, is very well documented.  The basic thesis is that
> "... 'evil' is a by-product of nature's strategies for creation and is
> woven into our most basic biological fabric."

Interesting stuff, but this argument of man creating the devil has been around
for years.  There are even offshoots of Christendom that maintain the devil is
not an actual entitity but something bad within us.

Skeptics claim that within the religious community the concept of the devil is
not only useful for letting God off the hook, but for scaring the living daylights
out of people.  Nevertheless, while the devil seems a bit of the stuff that
myths are made of, there are far too many references in the the New AND
Old Testament (or Torah, if you prefer) to easily dismiss his existence.

I am drawn to the words of C.S Lewis, who wrote "There are two mental
dangers when it comes to the Devil -- thinking of him too much, and thinking
of him not at all."

Later friends,

Jim Guinee, Ph.D.

Director of Training & Adjunct Professor
President, Arkansas College Counselor Association
University of Central Arkansas Counseling Center
313 Bernard Hall    Conway, AR  72035    USA
(501) 450-3138 (office)  (501) 450-3248 (fax)

"You don't have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things --
to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently
motivated to reach challenging goals."
-- Edmund Hillary, New Zealander mountaineer and explorer