> Ah, the Torah really does not dwell on innate evil. It does constantly
> spotlight human imperfection and limitation, and the ability--if not the
> need--to love and be just within those confine. That reminder is what the
> casting out from the Garden of Eden story is all about--at least, the
> Hebraic version.
>
> Make it a good day.

Are you saying the devil is not mentioned in Torah?

By using a website, I entered the following names

"Satan" got 48 hits.  The most common references in the Torah were
in "Job" and "Zechariah," and to a lesser extent, "Isaiah."

"Devil" got 34 hits.  None in the Torah.

"Evil" got 300 hits, pretty much all over the OT and NT.

"Lucifer" got zilch.

>                                                        --Louis--
>

> Louis Schmier                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Department of History             www.halcyon.com/arborhts/louis.html
> Valdosta State University
> Valdosta, GA  31698                           /~\        /\ /\
> 229-333-5947                       /^\      /     \    /  /~\  \   /~\__/\
>                                  /     \__/         \/  /  /\ /~\/         \
>                           /\/\-/ /^\_____\____________/__/_______/^\
>                         -_~    /  "If you want to climb mountains,   \ /^\
>                          _ _ /      don't practice on mole hills" -    \____

Jim Guinee, Ph.D.

Director of Training & Adjunct Professor
President, Arkansas College Counselor Association
University of Central Arkansas Counseling Center
313 Bernard Hall    Conway, AR  72035    USA
(501) 450-3138 (office)  (501) 450-3248 (fax)

"You don't have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things --
to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently
motivated to reach challenging goals."
-- Edmund Hillary, New Zealander mountaineer and explorer