I remember Spence as some what aloof--definitely not "warm and fuzzy."
He taught from meticulously-prepared notes that he read to his classes. He
advised me to do the same whenever I taught in his place (I often ignored
this advice because it wasn't my style). There was usually little
discussion in his classes or seminars. Spence's frequent and unabashed
criticism of those (Harlow, Skinner, any clinician) not aligned with the
Hull-Spence camp revealed, I believe, a strong underlying insecurity.

On a more positive note, he was frequently accessible to and quietly
concerned about his own Ph.D. students. I found him to be very perceptive,
insightful and helpful whenever we were dealing with research-related
professional issues and also whenever we were discussing my career
options.

Warmest regards to all of you TIPSters. My teaching and my students have
benefited immensely from your discussions and contributions.

Keep up the outstanding work,
Hank
Hank Goldstein, Ph.D.            |   PHONE:  (319) 588-6305
Department of Psychology         |   FAX:    (319) 588-6789
Clarke College                   |   EMAIL:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dubuque, IA  52001               |
"You can always spot a well-informed person; her/his views are the
same as yours."
  Ilka Chase [paraphrased]