I recently had a student ask me about career options etc.  However, he is a
non-traditional student (i.e., adult-learner) and has been getting some conflicting
advice about career options.  I thought I would gather feedback from fellow
psychologists for him to help in making his decisions.  Here is some brief background:

He is currently in his mid-40's and will complete his BA in about a year.  He would
like to go on to get his masters or perhaps a doctorate. He is most interest in
clinical/counseling areas of psych. He is particularly attracted to educational
settings and would like to pursue a path that would allow him to work in an
educational setting of some sort.  We have discussed school psych, and he is also
attracted to college teaching.  However, his advisor gave him the impression that, "at
his age" pursuing graduate study in psychology (especially the doctorate) would be
risky.  Basically, they suggested that he would have trouble getting work because of
his age.

This disturbed me (and him), because I know of many Ph.D.s who entered grad school
late and have gone on to successful and fulfilling careers.  Also, in my personal
experience, the opportunities are never quite as narrow as many people suggest.
However, I would like to give him some additional feedback from others in the field.
Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks

Mark

Mark J. Sciutto, Ph.D.
Dept. of Psychology