There were several individuals in my graduate program who were in their
forties.  In addition, there were two individuals who were in their late
50's.

<<<< , his advisor gave him the impression that, "at his age" pursuing
graduate study in psychology (especially the doctorate) would be risky.
Basically, they suggested that he would have trouble getting work because of
his age.<<<<

Frankly, this type of "advice" seems offensive and suggests an attitude of
discrimination.    Considering the vast and diverse opportunities in this
field, the advice seems to be based in ignorance as well.

At the risk of stereotyping, my experience with college advisors has been
that one must take an attitude of caveat emptor.  They may give bad advice
for which they are not held responsible, hence the title "advisor."  If you
read the qualification requirements (an look at salary ranges) for people
who are in college advisement, many are people who may only have AA or BA
degrees and are better able to discuss majors, minors, and the articulation
agreements their institutions have with a variety of colleges.
However, their expertise in career counseling may be merely a reflection of
their own, uninformed, biases.  Actually, having taught Student Success
courses for a number of years, advisement has come up frequently.  I have
heard a number of "horror" stories from students who have been,
unintentionally, mislead by their advisors, resulting in extended time in
college due to taking unnecessary classes and improper prerequisites.

Haydee Gelpi
Broward Community College
DHHS/FOH Florida