Hello -

I have been speculating (having just completed another grueling stats class)
that indeed, what makes most good students good is the time they put in to
their vocation.  But in American culture we have elevated the mythical
effects of "talent" as if it were unrelated to work and effort.  This is
especially evident in a class like stats, where the math skills necessary are
minimal (intermediate algebra at worst) and the failure rate is high. I am
fairly convinced that this effect is the result of students telling
themselves that they can't do it, and then following through by not putting
in the required time.  Then they look at those getting Bs and As and say
"they are just really good at math" without making the connection that being
good at math, for the vast majority of people, is the result of hard work.

And the beat goes on...

MHO