I was confused by this as well. After looking into the issue further I
found the answer.

The college in question does in fact offer a general psychology course.
However, this course does NOT count towards the major. After looking at
their catalog, the general psychology course is NOT listed in their
required courses for the major. The intro course does meet other general
education requirements for the social sciences, but again it is not a
required course of the major.

So, although I would describe the data point as atypical, it does appear to
be accurate... given the confines in which I had people responding. Since
it doesn't count for the major, it really isn't available to majors...
although a case could be made that it is in fact optional... though the
student would not be able to use the course towards the hours necessary for
their major.

At 07:55 PM 9/17/2001 -0400, Charles M. Huffman wrote:
>Marc,
>
>I wonder about the respondent to your survey that does not require or
>offer Introductory Psychology.  There is also one program that does not
>require or offer Intro. to Statistics or Research Methods.  Surely this
>must be some erroneous data?  Or, perhaps a TIPS member from somewhere
>on the Florida coast responded?  Interesting information, thanks.
>
>Chuck
>
>*************************************
>Charles M. Huffman, Ph.D.
>Chair, Psychology Dept.