On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Kenneth M. Steele wrote:

> A retired colleague in this department gave a test on the course
> syllabus in the first week of a class.  He used questions like
> below and the test was worth 10% of the final grade.
>
> Students grumbled some but I was amazed at how little protest
> there was about this practice.

I don't see the point other than as therapy for frustrated
faculty but I do find it useful to include a few questions on
plagiarism (including "find the plagiarized passage") on one of
my tests.

For students who get the questions right, it documents that "I
didn't know" is not a credible defense.  And for students who get
them wrong, it gives me an opportunity to invite them to see me
for remediation.

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/