I fail to see a problem. The phrase he/she, he and she, he or she is awkward
and should be used as little as possible. Gays and lesbians is preferable to
homosexuals because of the connotations (thanks in large part to some right
wing zealots) of the term. The words, individuals, people, etc are not
pronounced with the sneer that often accompanies the term "homosexual". If
you want to be particularly nitpicking, "gay" often refers to both men and
women whereas lesbian refers to women.

I am beginning to wonder if the reader was supposed to read between the
lines of Scole's statement. Is there some subtext I am missing?

Harry Avis PhD
Sierra College
Rocklin, CA 95677
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Life is opinion - Marcus Aurelius
There is nothing that is good or bad, but that thinking makes it so     -
Shakespeare