James Guinee wrote:

> > Has anyone noticed that the latest publication manual says to use, "he"
> > and "she", sparingly, but to use, "lesbian" and "gay", rather than,
> > "homosexual?"
>
> It seems he is pointing out that NOW we are supposed to limit our use of
> he/she (what alternative do they suggest, by the way?), but in the case of
> sexual orientation, by all means designate the person's gender by using the
> words "gay" and "lesbian."  So are they no longer he and she?
>
> Mike, how far off am I?

Jim, I think you've got it.  It seems that the APA publication manual is more
concerned with avoiding hurt feelings than with clarity of writing.  Many people
avoid "he" and "she" by using the plural form incorrectly.  If the use of "gay"
and "lesbian" was meant to clarify gender, I would be all for it.  (Unfortunately,
"gay" doesn't seem to do this.)  My only point was that a gender-neutral form is
preferred in one instance, but not in another.

--
********* http://www.coe.uca.edu/psych/scoles/index.html ********
* Mike Scoles                       *    [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *