> From: "Harry Avis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: New APA Manual inconsistencies
>
> I fail to see a problem. The phrase he/she, he and she, he or she is awkward
> and should be used as little as possible.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.  I've been deliberately
making he/she plural as much as possible in my most recent manuscripts.

Yeesh!

> Gays and lesbians is preferable to
> homosexuals because of the connotations (thanks in large part to some right
> wing zealots) of the term. The words, individuals, people, etc are not
> pronounced with the sneer that often accompanies the term "homosexual". If
> you want to be particularly nitpicking, "gay" often refers to both men and
> women whereas lesbian refers to women.

Good point.  My (very limited) understanding of minority group labels is that
it isn't just a matter of negative connotation, it's also the fact that these
archaic labels (e.g., oriental) were handed out by the majority group, and any
minority group now resists (understandably so) adhering to a terminology
that it did not create for itself.

> I am beginning to wonder if the reader was supposed to read between the
> lines of Scole's statement. Is there some subtext I am missing?

Probably.  He tends to find stuff that others miss.

When I look at his question again
> Has anyone noticed that the latest publication manual says to use, "he"
> and "she", sparingly, but to use, "lesbian" and "gay", rather than,
> "homosexual?"

It seems he is pointing out that NOW we are supposed to limit our use of
he/she (what alternative do they suggest, by the way?), but in the case of
sexual orientation, by all means designate the person's gender by using the
words "gay" and "lesbian."  So are they no longer he and she?

Mike, how far off am I?

Going under my desk...

> Harry Avis PhD
> Sierra College
> Rocklin, CA 95677
> email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jim Guinee, Ph.D.

Director of Training & Adjunct Professor
President, Arkansas College Counselor Association
University of Central Arkansas Counseling Center
313 Bernard Hall    Conway, AR  72035    USA
(501) 450-3138 (office)  (501) 450-3248 (fax)

"if my people, who are called by my name, will humble
themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from
their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and
will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
  2 Chronicles 7:14