From: drna...@aol.com [drna...@aol.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:19 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] Neuroscientist Denied Tenure Goes On Shooting Spree

There IS research that suggests that media publicity for these events generates
copy cat activity. At least dating back to Monroe's suicide.

That is not to imply that this is the only cause. I meant that the touch of
narcissistic entitlement that I think characterizes our culture, plus the
vicarious reinforcement provided by multiple examples of media publicity,
probably interact with predisposing tendencies - the people already had the
tendency - suicidal/homicidal, also drugs such as alcohol, cocaine and meth,
it's probably complex and hard to anticipate.

Nancy Melucci
Long Beach City College
LB, CA