Allen Esterson wrote:
> Oh, dear, the perils of translating from the UK to the US! Do not
> conflate the American use of the term "liberal" with what is meant in
> Britain by "Liberal".

Although the history of UK's Liberal Democrats has some relevance here,
the problem is translating from the actual meaning of the word "liberal"
to the way the term is pejoratively flung around in the US. As I have
said before on this list, "liberals" are not on the "left" (as though
the left-right metaphor, dating from the days immediately following the
French Revolution is still terribly informative). Liberals are in the
center, as the LibDems are in the UK. (In Canada, legendary Liberal
leader Pierre Trudeau once famously defined his party as representing
"the radical center, that is to say, the extreme middle"). Social
Democrats (historically identified with labor, though not so much
anymore) are on the left. The reason "liberal" seems like the "left" in
the US, is that the US doesn't have any "left" to speak of (except
perhaps Bernie Sanders, independent senator from Vermont, and former
mayor of the "People's Republic of Burlington").

It is worth noting that while there are lots of (supposedly "leftist")
Democrats in the US who cannot bring themselves to support a "public
option" on health care, there is hardly a (supposedly "right")
Conservative in all of Western Europe or Canada who would dare to
publicly suggest turning the entire health care system over to the
private insurance companies. To do so would put their political career
at considerable risk.

Chris
--

Christopher D. Green