On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 01:07:19 -0700, Michael Smith wrote:
>I wonder if "scientists" are people too.

Ah!  I presume that this statement means that you don't consider
yourself a scientist and have not experienced the insights, understandings,
and attitudes that such a role/state/pattern of living entails.
Yes, Virginia, er., Michael, "scientists" are people too.  They
are like, pardon the influence of the recent World Cup final game,
soccer players/footballers, in that they tend to be highly skilled
people who after years of dedicated practice and education operate
at high level in a variety of areas that most ordinary people without
such experience cannot achieve.  That being said, scientists and the
system they operate within are not perfect, nowhere near the blissful
state of operation in heaven, and are likely to make errors and attempt
to create means of dealing with those errors.  Y'know, like that moment
in the final game of the World Cup when De Jong went flying feet first
into the chest of Xabi Alonso in what seemed like a scene from Shaolin
Soccer.  I loved it when he only got a yellow card after possibly
cracking the guy's sternum.  Yes, scientists are people, like footbaalers
are like people, but with fewer opportunities to massage a person's
heart with their toes.

>I hope the implication of the author of the article isn't that science
>can address all issues, which it clearly can't...

Ah, irony!  I love it when it comes so think one can cut it with a knife.
Quoting from the article:

|Research results not consistent with your world view? Then you're
|likely to believe science can't supply all the answers

and

|When presented with unwelcome scientific evidence, it seems,
|in a desperate attempt to retain some consistency in their world view,
|people would rather conclude that science in general is broken.
|This is an interesting finding. But I'm not sure it makes me very happy.

>especially the social sciences which just aren't on par with the
>physical sciences.

This is a curious statement because it assumes that there is a common
metric that one can use to compare the achievements in different domains
of the sciences.  I wonder which metric(s) Prof. Smith is using as the
basis for this?  Can he enlighten us?

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Christopher D. Green <chri...@yorku.ca> wrote:

> Here is a description of an interesting study that might be of use in a
> critical thinking course (or cognition, or social psych, or methods).
> Apparently when you confront people with evidence that runs contrary to
> their pre-existing beliefs, they not only argue that science cannot address
> the question, they also often generalize that opinion of science to a wide
> range of other topics as well.
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jul/03/confirmation-bias-scientific-evidence

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=3549
or send a blank email to