I agree with Annette. There are good and better ways to write a succinct
explanation of the concept of contrast effects in sensory research. Once I had
invested a great deal of time crafting what I thought was "the" best sentence,
why would I change it just to avoid plagiarizing myself? I would argue that
that would've created a lesser quality sentence. Are musicians plagiarizing
themselves with each new performance of a song? Or when they make an acoustic
version from an "electric" or orchestrated version?

Steven M. Specht, Ph.D.
Utica College
Utica, NY 13502
(315) 792-3171
monkeybrain-collagist.blogspot.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and
convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
Martin Luther King Jr.

On Sep 15, 2010, at 11:53 AM, Annette Taylor wrote:

> I have to disagree with Miguel here... agree with Barbato. I have spent the
> last decade researching a single paradigm and plan to do so until I retire
> probably. It has taken me years to phrase some of the basics in the most
> clear way so that others can understand what I mean. I don't want to have to
> think of more alternative ways to say some things. I had to really craft the
> text of the basic ideas carefully because I'm trying to explain some
> relatively abstract concepts in the most effective way possible for the
> listener/reader. So to have to redo this in a potentially less effective way
> to avoid self-plagiarism seems down right silly. They are my words that I
> worked on, and if they form the foundation of parts of the introduction and
> methods section then I can't believe it's a problem to reuse them whenever I
> write about the same topic. In fact, I have tried to just free write the
> methods section in subsequent papers and found myself repeating myself
> verbatim without even trying.
>
> I an left asking myself if we haven't had the pendulum swing too far, once we
> have to worry about repeating parts of introductory explanations to set the
> stage for a new study, as being somehow "dishonest" or lacking "integrity."
>
> Just my 2 cents here. What do the others on the list think?
>
> Annette
>
> Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
> Professor, Psychological Sciences
> University of San Diego